Unveiling the Beauty Beneath the Surface
Polished concrete emerged as a flooring that took the design world by storm. But what exactly is polished concrete and why is it so popular? In this blog post, we will explore the exciting world of polished concrete and find out what makes it an exceptional choice for both residential and commercial spaces.
The Basics of Polished Concrete
Polished concrete is a floor plan that requires the concrete surface to be shaped and finished to a glossy, smooth, and visually appealing finish The process usually includes the following steps.
1. Surface Preparation: To prepare the concrete for polishing, any existing coatings, adhesives, or imperfections are removed. This step ensures a clean slate for the polishing process.
2. Grinding: Specialized grinding equipment fitted with diamond abrasives is used to gradually grind down the concrete’s surface. The grit level of the abrasives is progressively increased to achieve the desired level of smoothness and shine.
3. Concrete Densification: A liquid chemical hardener called a densifier is applied to the concrete surface. This densifier reacts with the concrete to increase its hardness, making it more durable and resistant to wear and tear.
4. Polishing: The concrete is polished using finer and finer grit diamond abrasives until the desired level of gloss and clarity is achieved. This step can create a range of finishes, from a satin-like sheen to a high-gloss mirror finish.
5. Sealing: To protect the polished surface and enhance its stain resistance, a concrete sealer is applied. This sealer also contributes to the glossy appearance.
Why Choose Polished Concrete?
Polished concrete has gained popularity for several compelling reasons:
- Aesthetic Versatility: Polished concrete can be customized to achieve various looks, from a sleek, minimalist style to a decorative, terrazzo-like finish. It’s available in an array of colors and can be enhanced with decorative saw cuts or aggregates.
- Durability: Polished concrete is incredibly durable and can withstand heavy foot traffic, making it suitable for both residential and high-traffic commercial spaces.
- Low Maintenance: Its smooth surface is easy to clean and maintain, reducing the need for costly upkeep.
- Sustainability: Polished concrete utilizes the existing concrete slab, reducing the need for additional materials. The process also eliminates the need for coatings or adhesives that can emit harmful VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
- Longevity: When properly maintained, polished concrete floors can last for decades, providing a long-lasting investment.
In conclusion, polished concrete is a versatile, durable, and visually stunning floor that is rapidly gaining recognition for its aesthetic appeal and durability Whether you are looking to upgrade your home or commercial space, polished concrete offers an attractive combination of style and functionality .
For more details, feel free to contact Glen at 021-434-199. Glen covers the North Island, which includes Auckland, Tauranga, New Plymouth, Napier, Hamilton, Cambridge, Waikato, and Wellington. If you’re located in the South Island, please get in touch with Mike at 027-281-8815, serving Queenstown, Lakes, Dunedin, and Invercargill. Alternatively, you can send us an email, and our Sales Manager, Ian, will promptly respond to your inquiry.